Camp William Hinds. Your Summer Adventure Awaits!"What makes Camp Hinds great is all the attention and dedication that the camp staff over the years have put into Camp Hinds - keeping traditions alive and making changes." ~ Dean Zaharis (Camp Director 1993-1996)
Founded in 1927, Boy Scout Camp William Hinds is situated on 280 acres of land on the shores of Panther Pond, which is a part of the Sebago Lakes Region of Maine. Camp Hinds is owned and operated by the Pine Tree Council, BSA. Over 86 seasons, Hinds has grown to include a number of facilities and buildings including a 300+ seat Dining Hall, Health Lodge, Recreation Hall, Trading Post, Craftshop, Year-Round Training Center, High and Low Ropes Course, Natural Rock Climbing Cliff, Technology Center and three Waterfronts. When not serving as a summer camp, it is home to the Council's Winter Camp Program, OKPIK, Operation Fly First Class and various other Cub and Boy Scouting Programs and camping trips.“The goal is simple, to have the boys who enter the gates of Camp Hinds say this was the greatest Scouting experience of their lives.” ~ Josh Gagnon (Camp Director 2009-Present)
For more information on the history of Camp Hinds, including photos, memorabilia and historical documents we encourage you to visit www.friendsofhinds.org. The Friends of Hinds site was created and is maintained by longtime staff member and camp director Dean Zaharis. The purpose of the friends of hinds site is to collect and display information and artifacts related to history and activities of Camp William Hinds and the friends and organizations that support it.
Camp Hinds Highlights:
- A strong traditional camp program with morning and evening merit badges, troop team building rotations in the afternoon and open areas
in the evening.
- A Webelos Resident Camp Program that has a Cub Scout Theme but Boy Scout adventures! It is designed to work on Webelos advancement pins & activities while promoting Scouting through a theme which is brought to life through our energetic and dedicated staff!
- We feature over 40 Merit Badges including new offerings in 2013: Kayaking, Model Design and Building, Oceanography, Search and Rescue, Fire Safety, Space Exploration, Photography and Music.
- We're one of only 11 councils that offers the Scholastic Pistol Program!
- Our Polaris experience designed specifically for first year Scouts!
- Week-Long and Afternoon Older Boy Experiences including a full-day Mountain Man program, Science and Technology Center with a NOVA experience, SCUBA w/NAUI Certification, Search and Rescue Week, COPE and Climbing, BSA Lifeguard and more!
- Three beautiful waterfronts that offer something for Scouts of all ages!
Camp Hinds has a staff of approximately 60 Scouts and Scouters. The camp is lead by a Camp Director, who works with a Program Director and Camp Ranger. All administrative staff and area directors attend National Camping School for program specific training.